Road Stories

My life training and working at the Fire Station

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Vuelta Chihuahua Day 2



Well another day down. Today was the 80km Circuit race. It consisted of two 180 degree turns and 4km long. Everything has been running on time. I told the guys yesterday that I will be going for the intermediate sprints today. I rode from my home across to Juarez and made it just in time for the race start. No, I wasn’t procrastinating again, I had built my bike the nite before and found out I had a broken seat post clamp. Knowing all bike shops around the city open at 10am, I had to call Jaime and hope he had an extra clamp. But back to today, I finally get my seat clamp fixed and heat to Juarez, which is 3miles from home, how sweet is that. Not ever having experience racing in MX, I didn’t know what to expect. My boy Chris would have love it!, The pace was Attack from the start and don’t stop until the end. After yesterdays antics I decided to give it a go, but giving it a go meant I have to go over 35mph. As soon as one attack went another was waiting to go. Attacks up the left and counters up the right. Mid way was into the race were points up for grabs. (seen above) With 1 lap to go, a break that had the Leaders Jersey was never brought back, it is surprising that none of the Mexican teams worked to bring it back. My teammate gave me a hell of a lead out but it was 150 meters to short for me. He gave it is all and dropped me off 3rd going into the last 180. I thought I drank enough water but as soon as I stood up to sprint my right leg just locked up. I didn’t want to ruin the chance I had been presented with and gave it all I had. Top 20 for the 1st stage. Now we have a 4hr drive to Chihuahua.
Here I’m after the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home