Road Stories

My life training and working at the Fire Station

Thursday, August 24, 2006

National Championships



Here I'm getting ready for the start of the race. I got a great spot at the front. I tried to do everything I could to stay relaxed and comfortable at the front of the race.




I was top 20 all day long or tried to stay there. A few times the race was so easy that the group would get bunched up at the front and next thing you know you go from top 20 to mid pack of 180 riders. With 8 90degree corners it was a bit intimidating pushing other guys you have never raced with out of the way. With less than 20 laps to go of 50 laps. My buddy and partner in crime decides to push someone way bigger than him during a corner, but ofcourse it had to be the last corner in front of a crowd. He flicks his front wheel to hold it up, as I'm conscious of what is about to happen, my first thought is, you better hold it up and keep it up homo. Ofcourse not, he flicks his front wheel for a second time and loses it. I'm about 3 guys back and try to avoid and head for the hay bale. minimal damage to the "el matador" but good. No the only think that played a trick on me was fear. I realized I was riding fearlessly until then. I was taking corners like I was riding by myself. 10 laps to go I was hitting my breaks like an old lady in her chevy impala in a traffic jam. I ended up rolling in 80 something. I was feeling great and some of the pictures show that, other than I was ready for my podium picture. It was great to be riding with Surfer at the front. He looks pretty good in blue. Oh well, i will be back hungrier next yr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home